Who we are, what we believe:
Our goal is to open our home to strangers; to make you part of our family. To do that, we offer you a personal, unique experience.
In 1998, when we started, we were the first cooking class offered in Florence. Now there are nearly one hundred! To stay unique, we stir away from mass, and we shy away from luxury. We choose “experiential”.
We created a cultural association, to welcome fellow members into our private home in Chianti.
Before you look into what we do, please take a moment to read what we believe in:
- There is a difference between a tourist and a traveler; if you belong to the latter category,
we like you already…
- Every visitor is different and deserves to be accepted and respected because of that: your religion, your political inclinations, your ethnic group, your country of origin, your gender, are an opportunity of growth for us and the people around you;
- Even a fellow traveler can be a great source of information!
- Food, wine and real people are paramount cultural elements, as important as the largest art museum, or the most awe-inspiring cathedral;
- Seasons are important: enjoying roasted chestnuts and a glass of hot spiced wine in the winter by the fire and looking forward to the first fresh strawberries means accepting and enjoying the passing of time, which is essential to a good life;
- Money shouldn’t be but a byproduct of a job well done.
THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST FAMILY GROWS…
- One more hearth:
We are proud to announce, after searching high and low, that the Accidental Tourist family has grown!
To accommodate the growing number of requests and still keep the group sizes to a quaint and intimate maximum of 8 people, our cooking class is now available EVERY WEEK END too! Thanks to our neighbors Gabriela and Leone opening their gorgeous historical home to the Accidental Tourist:
90 olive trees, a chicken coop, an impressive collection of antiques, an old farmhouse that would trigger kitchen-envy in Martha Stewart, and a warm welcoming philosophy that is right up the Accidental Tourist alley.
Gabriela has lived most of her full life in Italy, but has french, dutch and Argentinian in her.
Together with her husband Leone – a prominent historical paintings restorer – she lives in a beautiful 17th century farmhouse in the Chianti countryside, only a few minutes away from us.
We have known them for 18 years…. why didn’t it occur to us to ask them sooner!
- THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST REACHES OUT to lower case:
You and we are the “upper case Accidental Tourists”, the lucky ones who can choose the destination and duration of their wandering, and can set the date of their return home.
Lower case accidental tourists are those less fortunate, who leave without luggage, itinerary, a return ticket, or a home to return to.
After 21 years of making a privileged living by offering healthy food and cozy accommodations to curious travelers, we have decided it is about time to extend some of that warmth to those who can’t afford it,
by supporting PROGETTO ARCA onlus, a foundation which offers clean shelter and hearty meals to homeless people.
Here is how we will contribute:
For every paying guest that will sit at our table, we will donate a meal to PROGETTO ARCA onlus.
Simply, ONE TO ONE. If 2019 goes as 2018, we should provide 2000 meals!
If you can relate to our philosophy, you are officially invited to join our club and become an Accidental Tourist
Become an Accidental Tourist!
“Thank you so much !!! I work at a hotel in the States and I have never seen anything like this before!! So much kindness and warmth!!
What a beautiful spot!! I feel so blessed to have this opportunity!! Amazing food and wonderful people!!