What we are not:
We are not a travel agent. We don’t want to teach you: we want to host you;
We take small groups: we are not for more, we are for better;
We don’t ask for payment unless you are happy with your day with us;
We don’t believe in routine: every day is special, each guest is unique;
Who we are, what we believe:
Our goal is to show our beloved Tuscany through the back door, to give you the inside story, to take you inside the beating heart of a private home in Chianti.
In order to do that, we carry out a lot of fun activities, and we share them with our fellow members.
Before you look into what we do, please take a moment to read what we believe in:
- There is a difference between a tourist and a traveler; if you belong to the latter category,
we like you already…
- Every visitor is different and deserves to be accepted and respected because of that: your religion, your political inclinations, your ethnic group, your country of origin, your gender, are an opportunity of growth for us and the people around you;
- Even a fellow traveler can be a great source of information!
- Food, wine and real people are paramount cultural elements, as important as the largest art museum, or the most awe-inspiring cathedral;
- Seasons are important: enjoying roasted chestnuts and a glass of hot spiced wine in the winter by the fire and looking forward to the first fresh strawberries means accepting and enjoying the passing of time, which is essential to a good life;
- Money shouldn’t be but a byproduct of a job well done.
- THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST FAMILY GROWS…
We are proud to announce, after searching high and low, that the Accidental Tourist family has grown!
To accommodate the growing number of requests and still keep the group sizes to a quaint and intimate maximum of 8 people, our cooking class is now available EVERY WEEK END too! Thanks to our neighbors Gabriela and Leone opening their gorgeous historical home to the Accidental Tourist:
90 olive trees, a chicken coop, an impressive antique collection, a kitchen that stole our heart, and a warm welcoming philosophy that is right up the Accidental Tourist alley.
Gabriela has lived most of her full life in Italy, but has french, dutch and Argentinian in her.
Together with her husband Leone – a prominent historical paintings restorer – she lives in a beautiful 17th century farmhouse in the Chianti countryside, only a few minutes away from us.
We have known them for 17 years…. why didn’t it occur to us to ask them sooner!
- THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST REACHES OUT to lower case:
You and we are the “upper case Accidental Tourists”, the lucky ones who can choose the destination and duration of their wandering, and can set the date of their return home.
Lower case accidental tourists are the less fortunate, who leave without luggage, itinerary, a return ticket, or a home to return to.
After 20 years of making a privileged living by offering healthy food and warm accommodations to curious travellers, we have decided it is about time to extend some of that warmth to those who can’t afford it,
by supporting ARCA, an association which offers clean shelter and a hearty meal to homeless people.
Here is how:
1) Many guests have been asking about the art in our home, so we have decided to make it available.
Hence, if a piece you like during your stay here has a hanging price tag, you can take it home!
We sell it at the artist’s price with no mark-up, and we turn our commission (variable from piece to piece) to ARCA. So when buying a piece of art, you are also providing safe sleep and healthy food for someone in need.
2) When paying for your cooking and eating experience, or for a sojourn, you have the option of adding one or more warm meals or safe night sleep, or sanitary kits, for someone who needs it.
3) For every meal donated by you, we will pitch in with the time needed to prepare an serve those meals, and donate the equivalent to ARCA.
If you can relate to our philosophy, you are officially invited to join our club and become an Accidental Tourist
Become an Accidental Tourist!
“Italia has history and beauty… yet nothing compares to the FABULOUS experience of cooking and eating with new friends. Bellissimo!”